Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Design

Yes, you are on the right page. Welcome to the new All Style and All Substance. A special thanks to Olivier for the new design.

Here is a sneak preview of what I am currently working on. Remember the 8th project of my Seven-Week Challenge? Well, I never made anything with the red fabric with the big flowers and I am making a shirt with it. I should have pictures for you before the end of the week.

I've really been struggling with drafting this shirt pattern and it made me realise that I need to draft my bodice block ASAP. I think it will help me greatly in the future. Trial and error is really not the best method.

Friday, February 04, 2011

Korean Schoolgirl Shirt

And my second project for the week….

When I saw this fabric in the ‘80s vintage pile in York I just HAD to buy it. There was only a metre left and parts of it were yellowed and dirty, but no matter! I could not resist the cuteness of the little sailboats. A good wash and it was as good as new!

Once it came time to cut, I realised I didn’t have enough fabric for the pattern I drafted. My mind was really set on this particular design, in this particular fabric, so I thought long and hard about a solution. Finally, I figured that cutting the sleeves as separate pieces would allow me squeeze the most out of the fabric. Never in my life have I been so efficient! I think I had like 10 square centimetres left over.

My vision was of a loose-fitting, kimono-sleeve shirt – an ‘80s classic. Unfortunately, I realised that my initial design looked more like dentist scrubs than a hipster shirt (see mock-up version bellow).

In this situation, you must listen to your fabric. The fabric told me to exaggerate the kimono sleeves and add a Korean school girl collar. Of course, at this point, none of the original fabric was left so I chose to make it in black. I wasn’t sure at first, but the more I look at it, the more I find the contrast adds to the design.

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Yellow Bag

Dear readers,

I’ve finalized my timetable and it looks as if I will have more time to sew this semester. Yay!

I’ve come up with a system of sewing goals for the new year. Every week, I have to finish something – draft a pattern or sew a garment – and then I get a reward at the end of the week. My partner is doing the same thing with his book project. So far it’s been really motivating.

I’m happy to report that I’ve achieved my goals for this week. Once Olivier achieves his goals, I get a nice dinner at our local Chinese restaurant. Hurry up Olivier!

This bag was inspired by a Reversible Bag tutorial by Very Purple Person. I made mine a little bigger because I wanted to use it for textbooks and all my university stuff. The outside fabric is a beautiful rich yellow canvas that I bought in London and the inside is a true '80s vintage fabric that I found in a fabric shop in York. The result is pretty bright, I must admit, but I'd rather be brighter than boring! I doubt I'll wear it on the '80s side though.

If you are looking to start sewing, this is a the project for you. It's fun and quick and the tutorial really could not be any clearer.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...