And my second project for the week….
When I saw this fabric in the ‘80s vintage pile in York I just HAD to buy it. There was only a metre left and parts of it were yellowed and dirty, but no matter! I could not resist the cuteness of the little sailboats. A good wash and it was as good as new!
Once it came time to cut, I realised I didn’t have enough fabric for the pattern I drafted. My mind was really set on this particular design, in this particular fabric, so I thought long and hard about a solution. Finally, I figured that cutting the sleeves as separate pieces would allow me squeeze the most out of the fabric. Never in my life have I been so efficient! I think I had like 10 square centimetres left over.
My vision was of a loose-fitting, kimono-sleeve shirt – an ‘80s classic. Unfortunately, I realised that my initial design looked more like dentist scrubs than a hipster shirt (see mock-up version bellow).
In this situation, you must listen to your fabric. The fabric told me to exaggerate the kimono sleeves and add a Korean school girl collar. Of course, at this point, none of the original fabric was left so I chose to make it in black. I wasn’t sure at first, but the more I look at it, the more I find the contrast adds to the design.