Sunday, March 04, 2012

The Guess-What-Colour Skirt

I finally have a finished project to show you! It’s actually been finished for quite some time now… I made the muslin in December 2011.

It’s a skirt, and you’ll never guess what colour…

Surprise, surprise...

Shirt: upcycled from second-hand shirt!

I was initially planning on making it in a bright and fun fabric, I swear. But then I found this medium-weight polyester crêpe in the sales section for a mere €1/meter. The bargain hunter that I am snapped up several meters of it for muslin.

I quickly discovered that the fabric was way too good for muslin!


You may or may not know that polyester and Adrienne are not exactly best of friends. “If you’re going to go for polyester, I used to think, you might as well go for Ready-to-Wear. A lot less trouble and probably same quality and price.”
Wrong!

The weight and drape of this fabric is just fantabulous. It never wrinkles. I packed this skirt with me on several trips so far, and haven’t needed to iron it once. Also, I usually just bunch it up in a drawer when I’m not wearing it – which is not that often.

The other great thing about this skirt is that it’s lined. Nothing compares to a luxurious lined skirt in winter (I know it looks like summer in the picture, but it's actually only 18 C, meaning winter). Lining a skirt makes a big difference: it prevents clinging to your tights, and it makes it significantly warmer.

Drafting the lining pattern for the skirt – and most of all assembling the lining to the fashion fabric – added a nice challenge to an otherwise fairly simple project. For View C, the tricky part was really the vent at the back. A great resource on the subject was this tutorial by A Fashionable Stitch. It’s divided into several posts (either that or there are several versions of the tutorial?) I haven’t quite figured it out, but I do know that I was really happy to come across this resource.


Pattern
Simplicity 2451


Fabric
Medium-weight polyester crêpe

Modifications
Nothing major, as the pattern is quite well made. I did take in the waist a bit, and adjusted the side seams for the contours of my body.

What did I learn?
  • Just like last time I made this skirt, the yoke pieces completely mutated and stretched during assembly. I determined this was because the yoke is a little bit cut on bias due to it's curved shape. I really didn’t think the same thing would happen this time around, because polyester is so much more stable. It turns out it’s absolutely crucial to baste the yoke pieces to the skirt before sewing. And by basting, I mean hand-basting. Don’t even think of machine-basting this. 
  • Also, basting is all the more crucial if you are inserting piping in the seam. 
  • Whenever in doubt about whether to hand-baste something, just hand-baste it! It ends up saving you time.
Lining, front view
Lining, back view


Oh! And some of you might have noticed the Minoru Sew-Along Badge on the side bar and wondered what’s up with that. My pattern was lost in the mail, so Tasia kindly sent me a replacement, which arrived six weeks later (thank you Spanish customs!). Happy to report that I can now get started on the sew-along!

6 comments:

  1. Great version of this style. I've had this pattern for ages and keep passing over it. Yours really is lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ScruffyBadger! I would definitely recommend this pattern. :-)

      Delete
  2. That looks like such a versatile skirt and beautifully made. It suits you very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous skirt Adrienne and very professionally lined too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! Comments are moderated on posts older than 20 days, so they won't appear immediately. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...